Protect Yourself from Legal Malpractice
Or: 5 Ways to Be A Better Client
1. Whatever the lawyer is advising you on, tell the whole story. Be complete!
2. Be completely honest. What you say is confidential and almost always protected by attorney-client privilege that prevents disclosure to others.
3. Be clear in your objectives. Tell the lawyer what you want to accomplish through the lawyer’s representation, e.g., a will that gives all assets to a child, a lawsuit to recover payments for medical bills, etc.
4. Ask questions! Make sure that you understand what is happening, what the lawyer is doing for you, and what will or is likely to occur. Know the plan and strategy.
5. Be involved. Offer to assist, attend depositions, promptly provide necessary records (such as bank accounts, real estate owned, etc. for estate planning), and let the lawyer know if your objectives or circumstances relevant to the representation change.
By Thomas W. Dillon
Konicek & Dillon, A Professional Corporation
We work hard to get the results you deserve
We have successfully represented plaintiffs and defendants at every level of Illinois state and federal courts. Konicek & Dillon, A Professional Corporation, is based in Illinois, and serves clients throughout the Midwest and U.S. Our Illinois offices represent clients in Chicago, Naperville, Geneva, Aurora, Elgin, Schaumburg, Arlington Heights, Palatine, Rockford, and DeKalb, Illinois. We also serve clients in cities such as St. Louis, Missouri, Indianapolis, Indiana, Cleveland, Ohio, Tampa and Orlando, Florida, and Kansas City, Missouri. Konicek & Dillon, P.C. also handles legal malpractice and catastrophic injury cases in other states, including Michigan, Iowa, Indiana, New York, and others.
Cook County • DuPage County • Kane County • Lake County • McHenry County • Will County • DeKalb County • Kendall County • Winnebago County • and more